Sunday, March 29, 2015


A few of my hardcore followers recently pointed out that my most recent posts are a departure from the typical jedi gardener post filled with useful gardening anecdotes and hilarious star wars banter.

While these posts were very detailed and admittedly woefully boring they are completely necessary if your goal is to build a farmcopter. I would expect that most of you are currently working on your parts list as we speak.

This post will hopefully complete the circle and explain the inherent usefulness a quadcopter can have on an urban farm.

This weekend I was working on a project involving a large number of 2x8's and 4x4 posts. My wife Carla and I recently purchased a swing set for my sons Han and Luke. Of course you can't just install the swing set on the grass. A thick bed of very safe bark is necessary to cushion any falls that might take place. So this weekend I built the border to reign in the enormous amount of mulch that will soon be shoveled into my backyard.

Here is the wood.  Luckily Lowes had some pretty strong string to tie everything in.


After I got home I thought "how am I going to get this into the backyard. But then I remembered the quadcopter. 

Here is a picture just after flying this large 4x4 into the backyard.


Here is the farmcopter carrying a large 2x8.



It would have taken a while to carry these back by hand so having the copter around was pretty handy. Unfortunately I didn't have the video camera out to capture the actual flight but I'm sure you get the picture.

Here is the project in progress.





And here is a picture of the finished frame. Pythagorean's theorem was useful for squaring it up. Soon it will be filled with lots and lots of cushiony mulch.  The payload capacity of your quadcopter may vary.

No comments: