Sunday, September 13, 2020

The Socially Distanced Garden

 Well, because the summer garden went fairly well, I have decided to chronicle the progress of my progressive winter garden as it progresses. I am sum-what concerned, as maybe the reason it did so well is because I didn't write about it. Maybe the plants don't like the pressure that a large blog audience such as this one puts on them! I'm not sure, but we will try it anyway.


This year we decided to rethink the layout of the raised beds. Carla, Han, Luke and I took down the separate beds and rebuilt them into one big bed.

Here it is:


Hopefully the boards will keep the weeds out. 

Here is where the social distancing comes in. Most of the time I put my plants way to close together. They start out small and spaced out but then grow larger and crowd eachother. This is the way they look when they grow up:

   

Much too crowded!

Eric Clapton, the hack guitarist and famous gardener, once said: 

        "You should keep your vegetables spaced out properly or they will not produce fruit."

This is good advice.

So this year we are planting the garden with larger spaces between the rows. Here are some nice pics from after today's planting.



Hmm.. This one doesn't look to good. We will see if he survives.


Anyway, My wife Carla also painted some nice rocks to use as row markers. She is much more artistic than I am.

Here is one of hers:

Very artistic. That's butter by the way.

Here is mine: 

Thats spinach, not a palm tree.

So throughout the growing season, we will see how the seeds grow. Today is September 13th and next week I will post an update to see if the seeds have sprouted.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more exciting updates!


No comments: