Thursday, April 18, 2013

The dark side gains strength

Spring is a very exciting time. When it starts to get warm outside I can just imagine all of the tomatoes, carrots and peppers that my garden will produce. I also am sure that no weeds will sprout as I have cleared them all during the cold winter days.

Of course the harsh reality has hit. Around mid January I planted pods of seeds indoors in preparation for a crazy growing season. The seeds started out great; sprouting in just a few days.

Here is a picture:
Don't they look great? And they looked even better as time went by.
Here they are now:
(That's just dirt where the tomato used to be with a knocked over support stick)
That's a squished cucumber. Croaked pretty soon after I planted it.

I am not sure what went wrong but I think they got really stretched out by bending this way and that with the lack of light. I rigged up a grow light much too late in the growing cycle. We tried helping them out with little pipe cleaner supports but it didn't really help. My dog, Kramer, may have stepped on a few also. Stupid plants.


No comments: