Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A New Hope

Vegetable gardening has now become a competition with my mother in law. Every year her garden produces boatloads of vegetables. Armfuls of tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers are picked on a daily basis. She says that she doesn't use miracle grow but i've never been sure. The kicker is that she doesn't even like vegetables but mostly enjoys lining them up on her countertop so the everyone who visits can see them.

This year might just be my year. Last week, after my seedlings drooped and my little pipe cleaner sticks no longer had anything to support, I was pretty down on the garden. But today was a new day. I have noticed a lot of things have started to sprout that I had given up on.

Here is a little corn sprout:

I also planted some bush beans two weeks ago and thought that my always happy dog had bounded through them one too many times. But they seem to have survived:
Plants are pretty amazing. Sometimes its hard to pick out the vegetables sprouts from the weed sprouts but these are pretty obvious.

I also broke down and bought some tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers from a local nursery to supplement the little seedlings that I think survived the transition outdoors.

Here is a pepper:


The cage is to protect it from the happy dog.

Here is a panoramic picture of the garden. Because its a panoramic its kind of distorted but I still like it. I am going to try and take one every week to see how things change.




Thanks for reading.

No comments: