Saturday, May 4, 2013

A Jedi's weapon


Every Jedi Gardener needs a weapon against unwanted weeds. My favorite is called the stirrup hoe. 

It makes short work of getting rid of weeds and other things that you don't want growing in with your good plants. Moving it back and forth with the stirrup under the dirt dislodges the weeds from the roots.

It is not as clumsy as a blaster against weeds. Its an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. Here is a picture of mine against my red shed.



A second gadget I am trying this year is a water timer. In previous years I would water when I got home from work. I think this contributed to some of my problems as I think that I should be watering in the morning rather than in the evening. 

With the water timer I can set it to water early in the morning for a certain amount and time. It will repeat either a few times a day or every few days depending on how its configured. Currently I have it setup with a sprinkler. After my plants get a little bigger I will run it with soaker hoses to reach the roots rather than sprinkling the leaves. I am pretty sure this is a good idea. We will see how it works out.

I bought the Orbit 91213 single spout timer from amazon. In the future I might get a two spout timer so I can set two different programs. I am not sure if my well has enough pressure to run my whole soaker hose setup at once.

Even with the stirrup hoe I have a ton of weeds that have started to take over. I have had some recommendations of a spikey claw tool to take dig out the weeds among other things.

I would be interested to find out how you take care of your garden weeds?

Here is my most recent picture of the garden. My dog is busy protecting the plants from the squirrels. Important work.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How does that work weeding and watering the dog?? Does she enjoy the extra attention?