Sunday, June 9, 2013

Friends of the Jedi Gardener

One thing that I love about gardening is all of the friends that I have met. The many comments on this blog are great and it also seems that gardeners are very helpful and willing to share their experiences.

I have had some really great advice about many things but recently I have received advice about how to control garden weeds.

I used to not mind weeds so much. They add nice greenery to any garden and provide shelter for numerous bugs.

Weeds have always been a problem for me because I just figured I didn't have the time to keep weeding day in and day out and would have to wait to retire before I had a weed free garden. Every time I weed the pesky weeds keep coming back even after using the amazing stirrup hoe.

A good gardening friend said that she adds her grass clippings to her garden. This does two things. First, it acts as a mulch helping the soil not to dry out so quickly and second, as it decomposes, it releases nutrients into the soil. I am pretty sure this will be solid gold for the garden.

Here is a picture with a few layers of clippings:

Here are the clippings after they sit for a few weeks:



It looks much better after weeding and adding the clippings. I am hoping that this will prevent the weeds from coming back.

I also have a few neighbors who are very helpful with the garden:

Those are Skinks.

I also have a number of worms that I will be adding to my compost bin:


I will be writing about the bin soon. Its very exciting.

On a carrot note I have a carrot that has grown rather large. Here is a picture:
Who knew that carrots eventually grew flowers? I didn't.

I am concerned about pulling this Carrot as I don't want it to turn out like the last short carrot and I am considering leaving this as Schrodinger's Carrot! It currently exists as both a short and log carrot. This is a great vegetable paradox joke (Schrodinger's Cat). Ha ha.

Here are some random pictures of the garden in its current state. I think I will be picking some items soon:

These are Leak flowers. Pretty cool.

These are a few tomatoes:

These are squashes and cucumbers:

Here are some beans:

Below is a cucumber almost ready to pickle:


2 comments:

Gayle Himmelwright said...

Once again I come away from a Jedi Gardner session with knowledge and hope, not to mention some physics information. I feel that gardening is something that allows me to get away from the hustle and bustle that is everyday life and reading your blog only enhances that. It is nice to put the flip phone down for a while and get your hands dirty. Keep up the good work and keep on digging.

Flower child said...

I totally agree with you- compost is a wonderful thing! I will be following your creative use of pallets too! Your garden is looking great. I'm sure you are starting to enjoy the fruit of your labors! Keep up the good work!
Flower Child