Sunday, June 2, 2013

Vegetable garden the prequel

Here is a picture of my garden at the end of last season:

Its a mess as you can see. The cucumber trellis on the left has no cucumbers, the little string trellis I made provided a house for spiders and nothing else and the rest of the plants are a nightmare of weeds and droopy leaves. Disgusting.

I love to water and I am pretty sure that the plants like it too. Unfortunately last year I think that I over watered and caused the plants to rot away.

Well this year I am turning things around. My goals this year were to really plan my garden out, plant from seed if possible and organize my garden into rows. I also expanded the garden. Here is how it looked after the expansion before planting my plants.



I used the plastic to try and heat up the weeds. I think it would have worked better in the hot summer but it did an ok job.

Here is a picture of it now after planting for a few  months.



I have had to deviate from some of the well defined rows because of the lack of sun. I have a large tree to the left of my garden that has now sprung to life and is now blocking the sun for part of the day. Shady vegetables like lettuce are being moved over to the right shadier side of the garden. My cucumber trellis is also quite large and my rows have become a bit disorganized because of that. I will plan better next year.

No comments: