Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Gardening on Tatooine

I'm sure it must have been difficult farming on the planet of Tatooine. Those two suns beating down on the crops all day drying everything out. Farming for moisture would have been especially difficult for Uncle Owen in that hot sun even with the several moisture vaporators maintained on the farm.

But i'm sure one thing that farming on Tatooine and farming on Earth have in common is the importance of soil. I am convinced that good soil is essential to a successful garden and healthy plants.

When I first started as the Jedi Gardener I very excitedly tilled up my grass and planted my seeds in the normal gray yard dirt.

Here is a picture:


That yard dirt struggled to support my budding garden and the plants did not do well.
That cucumber plant is not happy.

This year I decided to get some more nutritious dirt for the vegetables. After a bit of research I bought 4 cubic yards of 50/50 Mushroom compost and topsoil.


There is some very serious controversy over the supposed benefits of mushroom compost. Some say it is too salty, others say it has no nutritional value because it is high heated after use to kill weeds. I will report throughout the growing season on my experience. So far it is noticeably better than the yard dirt I had been using. 

I have direct seeded a few things. Here are some beets, radishes and onions:


One thing is for certain, if I could eat maple trees I would be all set. All of the maple tree helicopters have seeded little maple trees and are causing trouble. Here are some now:


But thats ok. They are easy to weed.

Below is a carrot that is growing. The seeds for carrots are very small and seem to take a long time to germinate.




Here is a bean. For some reason only one bean sprouted out of 10 seeds that I planted. For this reason I have decided I need to test to see if my seeds are germinatable. 



I have placed a line of seeds, beens of different types and some spinach, in a line on a damp paper towel. I have then placed the paper towel in a plastic ziplock bag to keep the moisture in.

These look like burritos but they are not. After a week or so I will open these up and see if they have germinated. I can then plant them if they are viable.

Stay tuned for a very exciting post on Verma Worm Compost.


No comments: