Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Wookie Compost


I now fully understand why Jabba the Hut chose to feed his enemies to the Sarlacc Pit. He surely used the Sarlacc compost in his vegetable gardens.

For those who are unaware, the Sarlacc is a plant like omnivore that embeds itself in the ground with only its mouth protruding. It preys on victims that are caught with its tentacles and digests them for thousands of years.

While normal composted material is great for a garden, a digested Chewbacca or Boba Fett must have provided excellent garden nutrients.

I now have much smaller versions of the Sarlacc living at my house and while they do not digest things for thousands of years, the things they do digest and provide as waste are solid gold for the garden.

Here is their home:



These little Sarlaccs are known as Eisenia fetida and they produce vermi compost. I received these little worms from an expert gardener that I know well.










Essentially I have a small Sarlacc pit in my garage and I feed it vegetables and newspaper. The worms digest it for many months and then produce compost that I can feed to the plants. I am very new to the world of worm compost but it doesn't sound too difficult.

Here is a close up picture of a worm:

He's a nice looking worm. And the dark matter is the compost ready to be harvested. I checked the worms today and they needed to be fed.


This is a bit of old salad and my worm stick.

I choose to use a stick to move the paper around instead of my hand because, well, essentially this is a large bucket of poo.


Here is the bin with the salad mixed in. I moved the paper to one side, put the salad underneath and then did the same to the other side.

In my last post I showed the burrito of seeds I was testing to see if they were still viable. Here are the seeds after a week. They ended up being pretty smelly.


I opened them up and here is the result:


A few of the bean seeds sprouted in the paper towel and a few didn't. The spinach seeds didn't sprout at all. At least I know which I should plant.

I have planted the seeds that germinated so hopefully they will continue to grow.

Please stay tuned for part 2 in the exciting worm composting series: harvesting the compost.



No comments: