Monday, May 25, 2015

Overall the garden is doing quite well but one issue I am having is with my sunflowers. I cannot get them to germinate.

Here is a sunflower seed after a few weeks:

There is nothing there.

So I talked to a friend who is a sunflower-ologist this weekend and she suggested soaking the seeds prior to planting them and then putting them in the ground. After my success with the seeds in the paper towel, which I highly recommend, I decided that this was a good idea.

Here they are:


This is a standard bowl. I have also added some other seeds to see what happens. I have spinach seeds, sunflower seeds and some new been seeds. We will see how they do.

Here are some updated pictures of the garden:

These are the beens that were previously in the paper towel.  I am excited to see how they do.

Here are some new trellises I am trying for the tomatoes. I put up some 2x4's vertically and the connected them with horizontal 2x4's at various elevations. I may buy some 1x1 square wood pieces to replace these down the road. I expect to be able to use these year after year and have better tomatoe access. I have standard wire trellises in another garden for comparison. 



Here is a nice looking cucumber:
And a row of carrots:

The carrots were started from seed so I am particularly proud of those. Here is a beet. You can see the little red top right under the soil (it may be a radish).

In this plot I have strawberries and cantaloupe. I always have issues with the melon varieties as they rot or never ripen. 


I asked R2 to take an aerial photo of the garden as well. This picture is dated May 23rd.


Here is a picture from April 27th for comparison.

Stay tuned for more pictures of the seed bowl and the exciting conclusion of the worm compost series of posts.

No comments: